Tuesday 21 June 2016

Post walk thoughts

So after something like 9 months, my planning and preperation came good, I succeeded in doing something that I had to do, a long distance walk. It was hard at times, it was a mental nightmare at others, but I was determined to finish. I must be honest, it wasn't quite as hard as I was expecting, I got over the daily aches and pains pretty quick once I'd showered and relaxed with an evening meal, a pint and along with Liz's company also the companionship most nights with fellow PW walkers you meet.
The highlights for me, the views of High and Low Force waterfalls, the beauty of the Yorkshire Dales, the wild remote Cheviot Hills but view wise the geographical wonder of High Cup. I have seen many wonderful sights in the world, amongst them my childhood dream The Grand Canyon, but seeing High Cup got the same reaction from me as seeing that.
The people you meet on a day to day basis, that keep turning up for a number of days until your schedules start to differ, these are people from all walks of life, aiming to fulfill the same goal as yourself. These are people you will more than likely never meet again, Dutch, Texans, Australians all corners of the UK, but for a few days in your life, these become friends, real friends, strange.
Would I walk the Pennine Way again, I know its never say never, but I would say no. My body could take it, that I've just proved, but I don't think I could mentaly prepare myself like that again for a repeat. There are plenty more distance walks in this country to do, and seeing people the last two weeks a lot older than my 65 years, I could easily attempt more.
The downsides ................ none at all
Thanks feet, you done me proud
Signing the PW book
Thanks to the Brewery
Thanks Lew
The pride you get from a piece of printed card

No comments:

Post a Comment