Tuesday 21 June 2016

Day 18 Windy Gyle to Kirk Yetholm

14 miles (monday)
And so to where we left off yesterday, a tiring walk from the bottom of the valley upon to Windy Gyle. Because we had a very leisurely stroll down from there the previous day, we actually got to the top in the same amount of time, just under the hour mark. Much the same as yesterday, fantastic views all around, I just wish photos could to it justice, shame really. We walked the ups and downs and the time passed quickly, we eventually reached decision time, do we go up a path to reach the top of Cheviot Hill itself, a supposedly drab featureless summit, or carry on the main trail. I never will see the top of that hill, and I couldn't give a monkeys uncle, after 260 miles walking I fancied a rest.

It was then a short trek onto Auchopes Cairn, but a real knee jerking descent, Lew was feeling the rigours of the descent in his ankles, but in true Devonian style he carried on regardless. At this the point we came to the  second refuge hut we'd came across on the Cheviots this one though was bloody packed, a group of ladies from Taunton were finishing the PW today also. We had a brief chat, they had supped a bottle of pre celebratory wine, Lew and myself had to make do with water and lucozade. They soon went, and the two of us had a quick lunch and got underway.


Looking over to the Schill
We had a steep climb up onto the Schill, a fine looking hill, and shortly after going down this we were again at decision time. The trail splits and you have the option, taking an high route to Kirk Yetholm or a lower route. As the song goes "You take the high road, and I'll take the low road , and I''ll be in Scotland afore ye", and thats what I did, and Lew, no brainwork needed over that decision either. We soon came to a fingerpost, oh boy I'm going to get there, a mere 4 1/2 miles to Kirk Yetholm,
settle down Mick, youre not there yet. I said to Lew that I shouldn't tempt fate, but so far on this PW walk I have not slipped or fell down (unusual I must admit). Come on Mick don't &$^** it up now. I didnt, and after a seemingly endless walk into Kirk Yetholm,

there outside The Border Hotel was my dear wife Liz waiting to greet me. We were both emotional, sorry, very emotional. I made my way into The Border, claimed my free half pint of beer, signed the PW book and recieved my PW certificate. After the back slapping and the like we then all finally made our ways home, thanks Lew you made my first stage and last two memorable. Pity there wasnt a free beer for you, next pints on me mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment